[pdftex] pdftex throwing error despite no image

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 11:28:14 CET 2023

Hi Emma

I apologise for the rude reply that Ulrike gave you. Please don't let that
discourage you from using TeX.

I did a google search for the error message "See the pdftex.def package
documentation for explanation" for most helpfully supplied. Here's some
links for you to look at:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/280215/package-pdftex-def-error-file-pics-pdf-not-found
https://texhax.tug.narkive.com/gs6LICXo/package-pdftex-def-error
https://latex.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7316
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/8913

Oddly, none of these links refer to the pdftex.def package documentation. A
search produced https://ctan.org/pkg/pdftex-def, which for documentation
provides a very short README.

I suggest you look at the links above. Ulrike is correct, that this list is
not the correct place for dealing with your problem. I've forwarded it to
texhax, which is a better place.

However, this is a better place to discuss what could be done to improve
the error message. In particular I'd like to see a search for the
"pdftex.def package documentation" produce a useful result. Ulrike is far
more expert than I am on where such documentation might be found.

with kind regards

Jonathan