Converting TeX to HTML: was Looking for a serious TeX hacker

Deyan Ginev deyan.ginev at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 20:50:22 CEST 2023

Hello everyone,

LaTeXML is a substantial software application written in Perl, and - as
David mentioned - tracks a range of its own internal dependencies. That is
best served by hosting its releases in the Perl package ecosystem, CPAN. We
are just one letter off :-)
You can find the details here:
https://metacpan.org/dist/LaTeXML

You can similarly find tools like pandoc in Haskell's hackage:
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/pandoc

or plastex in Python's pip:
https://pypi.org/project/plasTeX/

We've recently discussed that the only advantage of CTAN hosting would come
if we wanted to intentionally sync the latexml release cycle with the
texlive release cycle. That is a fresh topic of interest for us, as each
new LaTeX 3 update tends to lead to regressions in LaTeXML support for
related packages (e.g. xparse.sty) due to our limited support for TeX's
internals. In such situations latexml users face a challenge with
installing compatible components. That said, we are likely to brave the
LaTeX 3 storms as we are, at least for the coming year, as we  are still
treating that level of support as experimental.

Lastly, most of latexml's functionality does not require a locally
installed texlive or MikTeX (similarly to pandoc, plastex, tralics, hevea,
...) and can be installed and used standalone.

Greetings,
Deyan