TeX Hour: Thu 15 Sep: Share your screen - all topics welcome

Deyan Ginev deyan.ginev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:24:24 CEST 2022

Hi Jonathan, everyone,

I am pleased that you had time and interest in discussing some of the finer
points around generating HTML for arXiv. Some interesting open questions to
consider.

If I may, I would like to contribute a quick point of information:

I have recently started working on "locally running latexml for arXiv" for
users who can't stomach the installation process. With a basic familiarity
with Docker, one can already use a turnkey solution, while letting Docker
take care of the installation details. More details on that here:
https://github.com/dginev/ar5ivist

I think there is still room to make it more convenient. I would like to
create a template github repository with a Github Action that automatically
deploys the HTML to gh-pages on "git push" for a LaTeX source - just as you
were describing in the call Jonathan.

Similarly, I know Overleaf has had interest in utilizing latexml since
2017, and maybe there is a way to inspire them to expose an "ar5iv HTML"
preview to their users in the foreseeable future.

I enjoy a healthy challenge. We can make the systems that make ar5iv
possible even better, especially when we have an explicit laundry list of
where they fall short today. So please send feedback our way, and we'll
keep the ball rolling.

And of course - do evaluate the other conversion tools available today. I
am just as curious as everyone about how arXiv is converted through each of
them, especially with a rigorous evaluation on the resulting HTML quality
and the fidelity of the browser rendering.

As always, thank you for making these conversations public, for everyone to
enjoy and learn from!

Greetings,
Deyan