Oct22 TUG news: tugboat, tug'23 survey, grants, dave walden, ctan

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Tue Oct 4 00:41:20 CEST 2022

Dear TeXers,

Another month of this year has ended.  It is a really hard year, but it
seems that there might be the light at the end of the tunnel.   I hope
2023 will be much happier than the previous several years.

I have on my desk the latest issue of TUGboat (43:2) with the
Proceedings of TUG 2022 (the electronic version is available to
members at https://tug.org/TUGboat/Contents/contents43-2.html).  I
hope those who attended the talks will find there many interesting
details from the lectures we listened to - and those who did not will
have the opportunity to learn about this great event. Videos of all
talks are also available, perhaps most easily accessed from the
conference program page: https://tug.org/tug2022/program.html.

Looking ahead, we are conducting a short survey about TUG2023 - if you
have not yet filled out the form, we'd appreciate your input:
  https://forms.gle/yPmiXUS7Y2j8iwjq8

As usual, when a new TUGboat issue is published, the previous one
becomes freely available to the public. If you are not a member of TUG,
you may find many papers at
https://tug.org/TUGboat/Contents/contents43-1.html quite interesting.
You may also consider joining TUG and help us to produce TUGboat,
conduct TUG conferences, advocate for TeX and steer the development of TeX.

Speaking of TeX development, I'd like to remind everyone about the
grants from the Development Fund - you may want to apply at
https://tug.org/tc/devfund/. Besides supporting general development, we
have funds earmarked for accessibility work, so if your project is
related to accessibility, please note this in the description field.

The editors of TUGboat would like to remind the community that the
deadline for the next issue is October 15. Articles on any TeX- or
typography-related topic are welcome. They do not have to be deeply
TeXnical or be research-level content - indeed, introductions,
tutorials, surveys, and other general-interest articles are especially
welcome. Info about writing for TUGboat:
  https://tug.org/TUGboat/location.html

The IEEE Annals of the History of Computing, where our late colleague,
friend and TeXnician David Walden was a contributor and sometime member
of the Editorial Board, published a very interesting memoriam for him by
his long-time friend and colleague, Alexander A. McKenzie:
  https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9842292

The current issue of TUGboat also has a shorter (TeX-focused) memoriam
for Dave, written by Karl Berry. It is available to all:
  https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb43-2/tb134walden-berry.pdf

New CTAN packages in September:

- abntexto, LaTeX class for formatting academic papers in ABNT
  (Associa\c{c}\~ao Brasileira de Normas T\'ecnicas) standards;
- abspos, absolute placement with coffins;
- biber-linux-musl, Biber binaries for Linux-MUSL;
- chemobabel, convert chemical structures from ChemDraw, MDL molfile or
  SMILES using Open Babel;
- colorframed, fix color problems with the package framed;
- darkmode, general Dark Mode Support for LaTeX-Documents;
- democodetools, package for LaTeX code documetation;
- jobname-suffix, compile differently based on the filename;
- luatruthtable, generate truth tables of boolean values in LuaLaTeX;
- neo-euler, OpenType version of Hermann Zapf's Euler maths font;
- opencolor, simple use of the Open Color colors;
- photobook, a document class for typesetting photo books;
- piton, typeset Python listings with LPEG;
- ppt-slides, good-looking slide decks \`a la PowerPoint (PPT);
- se2thesis, a thesis class for the Chair of Software Engineering II at
  the University of Passau, Germany;
- textcsc, simple commands for caps-to-small-caps text;
- udes-genie-these, a thesis class file for the Facult\'e de G\'enie
  at the Universit\'e de Sherbrooke;
- ufrgscca, a bundle for undergraduate students final work/report (tcc)
  at UFRGS/EE (Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul/Engineering School);
- wargame, a LaTeX package to prepare hex'n'counter wargames;
- wheelchart, draw wheelcharts with TikZ.

Happy TeXing!
Boris Veytsman, TUG President