TeX Hour: Thu 10 Nov: arXiv access and the TeX Macro Store: 6:30 - 7:30pm BST (UK time)

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 10:20:36 CET 2022

On Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 07:52:15PM +0000, Jonathan Fine wrote:
>    Hi
>    Tomorrow's TeX Hour is "arXiv access and the TeX Macro Store". It has two related topics.
>    First up is Shamsi Brinn. She will give a brief presentation on arXiv’s goal, and user research collected so far, around

How goes progress on citation discovery? Is machine readable
bibtex part of any templates now? That is do they use the extend
info or other stuff to all a computer program to look at
a preprint and get at least a doi or complete info including
version info? I'm still big on my own approach :)

I'm not sure any servers would record stuff like this but
I've started modifying all my bibliography URL's
with a document ID in the query string. I just made up a
key value pair that does not seem to offend most servers
but basically if could be just something like a DOI.
Apaprently referer or other headers can not be relied upon.
This has even more significance when the bibliography
becomes a bill of materials and click through become
purchses or involve money. This system may be easy
to spoof but still possibly useful. I have not
seen much interest however curious if anyone knows
otherwsise of if it is not worthwhile. In scientific
publications citations are easier to count but
click-through rates may be useful to authors.

No Zotero bugs to report today lol.

I don't really have time and maybe I should just go
get mathematica but after fighting more algebra problems
I was tempted to take all my ad hoc math code and
organize it a bit into a cheap c++ mathematica subset.
To make this worthwhile, it would help to have
real time rendering of math stuff and not sure
ASCII would be the best. Apparently there is something
called latexmk with a -pvc option. I guess I could
launch that ( using all the code I generated for
toobib lol ) and use that for rendering but
curious if there are other alternatives that
may work better for this kind of thing .

fwiw.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox