lualatex vs pdflatex- char encoding issue not fixed by suggestions found in CTAN etc

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:27:25 CET 2022

On Thu, 17 Feb 2022 at 10:39, Mike Marchywka <marchywka at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 10:55:18AM +0100, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> > Am Wed, 16 Feb 2022 18:29:02 -0500 schrieb Mike Marchywka:
> >
> > > I recently changed my default builds from pdflatex to lualatex
> > > and now the foreign chars are creating cryptic failure modes.
> >
> > Well it would help if you would mention the actual error (and would
> > show a concrete example)
>
> yes, I just thought this was a well known problem and it
> had "A{n}" accepted solution...
>

> > > When I finally figured it out, neither of these suggestions
> > > seemed to help.
> > >
> > > https://www.latex-project.org/news/latex2e-news/ltnews26.pdf
> >
> > > \usepackage[OT1]{fontenc}
> > >
> > > \usepackage{luaninputenc}
> >
> > Do not use fontenc (OT1 or T1) with lualatex.
> > Do not use luainputenc.
> >

> I thought these were supposed to make lualatex act like pdflatex
> which was my only immediate objective.

It does (more or less) choosing 7bit legacy fonts without even European
accented letters
so basically disables all luatex Unicode support, in which case you may as
well use pdflatex.

especially I would not use the version you used:

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.80.0

there were many changes in luatex before the release of luatex version 1
(which has been stable for some years, the luatex team already working on
its successor) The current version has banner

This is LuaTeX, Version 1.13.2

> > Encode your files in utf8 or use pure ascii.
> >
> I was trying to avoid the issue but since everything seemed to work
> I did not not worry about it. I have been changing my bibtex
> downloader, TooBib, I guess i could have checked the download
> dates of the offending entries but since it worked on pdflatex
> I didn't think it was a factor.
>
> In essence I did make everything ASCII although I never took a
> char histogram looking for high bit set.
> However, instead of converting offenders to latex I just picked
> a close ASCII char.

I would have thought the main feature of a bibliography tool would be to
handle the names of people cited.
If you silently change names without warning, is that really usable other
than for testing?
How do you choose close ascii for Greek or Cyrillic or Chinese names? And
even for accented latin alphabet
you can't drop the accents without changing people's names, or introducing
errors into titles of papers?

David