Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue

Bob Tennent rdtennent at gmail.com
Sat May 8 15:36:35 CEST 2021

 >|Errors:
 >|
 >|1- !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file
 >|PoiretOne-Bold-lf-t1--base): Font
 >|PoiretOne-Bold-lf-t1--base at 657 not found ==> Fatal
 >|error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Thank you for pointing this out. Karl has already corrected
it. I'm the maintainer of the PoiretOne package but I failed
to detect that the map file hadn't been enabled in TeXLive
because it was already enabled in my local texmf-config.

 >|2- I can't find file `T1fmv.fd'. (l.10 \input T1fmv.fd)
 >|3- Metric (TFM) file not found
 >|4- LaTeX Error: File `emerald.sty' not found
 >|5- LaTeX Error: File `*.sty' not found

These are all symptoms of incomplete installation or
even non-installation. The Usage indications at the Font
Catalogue are instructions for use *after* installation
according to the package documentation.

On May 5th, I asked you as follows:

  If you have a list of "problematic" font packages (not
  supported by TeXLive or getnonfreefonts, with inadequate
  or obsolete documentation), you should send it to the
  maintainer of the Font Catalogue. Perhaps he will mark
  them as "for experts only" or even remove them from the
  Catalogue.

But the "errors" you have reported to texhax are mostly
*your* errors, likely not due to inadequate or obsolete
documentation.

I now think *all* font packages not supported by
TeXLive or getnonfreefonts should be marked as "For
experts only" in the Font Catalogue or even moved into
a separate sub-catalogue. It's clear that TeXLive and
getnonfreefonts have "spoiled" you and likely many others
into mis-interpreting the Usage information in the
Catalogue.

Bob T.