Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Fri May 7 17:39:08 CEST 2021

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 11:54 PM David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Paulo ,some comments on your list
> Note that if you are searching for fonts by font name rather than filename
> with xelatex then you need to configure fontconfig
> to look in the texlive tree, specifically add something like
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>   <dir>/usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
> </fontconfig>

Hi David, indeed I went to a new installation and forgot about that piece:

I used to do this in a different way -- executing the commands:

sudo bash
cp $(kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSVAR)/fonts/conf/texlive-fontconfig.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.d/09-texlive.conf
fc-cache -fsv

and I have 3 quick questions:

Are there real differences between the end up results of your way and this
way?

What is exactly the file to be modified, in the way you suggest?

Is this in TL instructions?

> > Some of them are reported AS part of TeXLive and some as NOT part of
> TeXLive.
>
> It would be helpful to filter out all the cases that are documented as not
> being in texlive, as in that case clearly the files not being in texlive is
> not an error.

That was going to be my next step on the list.

Paulo Ney