Using fonts from the LaTeX Font Catalogue.

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue May 4 13:58:31 CEST 2021

Am Tue, 4 May 2021 12:38:52 +0100 schrieb Philip Taylor:

> My "problem" is with the idea that each font should require a separate
> package before it can be used.  If we take (for example) all fonts that
> are supplied only in AFM/PFA/PFB formats, could there not be one
> "AFMPFX" package that would make /all/ of them available ?

What would be the gain? I would have to load

\usepackage{afmpfx}

which would contain thousands of code lines to setup code for
hundreds of fonts I don't want to use and I would have to use
additionally some command to select roboto. \usepackage{roboto} is
less typing, does the same and would load only a small number of
code lines.

> And --ditto-- for any other family of fonts that is differentiated
> from all others families by the format(s) in which it is
> supplied, assuming that the font format is the primary
> determinant as to how a particular font should be used with LaTeX
> ?

It is not. The font format is important internally but the packages
are quite good at abstracting this layer if a font exists in more
than one format. So \usepackage{roboto} will work with pdflatex and
xe/lualatex and use the right font format depending on the engine.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/