How do beginners learn or how are they taught to do "research" with Bibtex?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 20:15:13 CET 2021

I'm putting together another set of notes that  is almost
a manuscript and using this as a time to debug my new tool
"toobib" which finds and downloads Bibtex entries for a given url.
This is a more mtaintainable version of my old "med2bib" script.

I like it and wanted to document it for possible release. So, it may
be helpful if I knew how "real people" would collect citations
for scholarly or other research with the intent of writing a
paper including complete bibliography ( or a DIY project using
BomTex as outlined before ).

AFAICT, every time you find a paper or abstract you want to cite,
you have to find a button or doi or something and then maybe download
or copy/paste bibtex into your collection - I don't even think google scholar
makes this easy to automate.  My workflow now just means copy whatever link
you have to the clipboard, run my "toobib" program that finds the bibtex for you,
and then add it to your collection.

For example, if you wanted to cite these works, how would you go about it?

http://cogprints.org/8948/1/2012-4-19.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jody-Ouweland/publication/343917910_Reduced_vitamin_K_status_as_a_potentially_modifiable_risk_factor_of_severe_COVID-19/links/5f48bab6299bf13c504629dd/Reduced-vitamin-K-status-as-a-potentially-modifiable-risk-factor-of-severe-COVID-19.pdf

If I can figure out how to get headless chrome to download pdf files, then it will even be
able to read from private cites for which you have credentials.  In theory right now I can
render to pdf ordump the dom for scraping  if a user provides the right cookie file but have not
integrated that yet.

I've got a lot of quirky code specialized to particular publishers but a lot of patterns
have emerged so often it works on novel sites but I'm still adding stuff and
trying to generalize more.

Thanks.
note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency