Does anyone here actually work with Zotero or some other entity that working on similar problem?

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 03:06:30 CEST 2021

This is probably getting a little off topic for this list so if anyone can suggest another
one that would be great. But I'm still left wondering how people manage to
create a bibliography now lol.

Nature is now failing on Zotero,

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41429-021-00430-5.pdf

and as I mentioned before they used to return ris but appear to have abandoned that.
They appear however to have converted to the other more common approaches.
When I run my code and request all possibilities, I get 26 or which a few
are really valid ( I'm hacking up my code so this is expected right now ).
It appears they too have adopted ld+json. I have not seen any indication Zotero
makes use of this when it exists.

So, I guess I would just comment Zotero does not seem immune from the problems
I was worried about and a development strategy to  deal with publisher
changes would be helpful. In my case, if the code was not hacked up, it
would have realized the nature domain things was failing and then try other
generic approaches ultimately returning something useful and diagnostic
information.

The "hacking" right now is due to a more accurate hierarchial parsing system.
The html is so dirty that I have found at least one case that sed and grep worked
where a real parser failed but in most cases the real parser will be more robust
and some pieces work well with json and html trees.

It may be however that ld+json is getting pretty uniform acceptance and that
may be the solution for a long time.

Thanks.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
470-758-0799
404-788-1216