Is this a scam or is it for real?

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jul 1 00:09:19 CEST 2021

I just got an email message purporting (and indeed appearing, as far as
I can tell) to come from "texhax-request at tug.org")  but having the
appearance (to my eye) of being a scam.

The subject line of the message was:

>  confirm 97f0e35586e8e2ffd1f3e442478c874348aeefaf

and the body of the message was is given below (after my sign-off). Can
anyone explain to me what is going on?  What would induce "excessive
bounces"?  Would I expose myself to danger by replying to the messages
as suggested?

I am disturbed by the fact that my members password is given "in plain"
in the message.  Surely this is a security risk (supposing that the
message is genuine).

Please reply to me directly rather than via the list, on the chance
that the message is for real whence I "will not get any more messages
from this list until [I] e-enable [my] membership".

Thanks.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

Body of the message that I find to be suspicious:

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics