Auto incremented document number

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Feb 19 17:58:55 CET 2021

I have no idea if this is possible, so I thought I would ask.

I work for a municipality. I need to create several documents that need to be numbered in consecutive order, i.e., SWI-100, SWI-101, SWI-102, etcetera. Is there any latex package that can keep track of the last used number and increment it in each new document? Since all of the papers are not written simultaneously, it would need to "remember" the last used number and increment it at a future date. I can do this with a regular MS Access database or MySQL, but I cannot figure out how to do it with LaTeX.

Thanks!

Jerry