psfonts.map not found [SUCCESS (really this time0]

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Dec 8 00:19:23 CET 2021

       updmap-sys --syncwithtrees
    That fixed the problem: pdflatex produces a PDF without error.

Yay!

    old /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts?

I didn't realize we were talking about texmf-local.
Copying over the entire texmf-local tree to a new install should be ok.

      updmap [ERROR]: The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
      updmap [ERROR]:  pxtx.map (in /usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg)

pxtx.map was removed in an update (to pxtxalfa) this year; unrelated to
texmf-local. So perhaps you copied over the updmap.cfg files not just
from texmf-local, but also the other trees?  And then it would not match
the current version of the packages, if that's what you then installed.

    If not what would have been the proper procedure?

What I would do is either 1) copy over the entire installed TL,
or 2) install a fresh TL on the target system and then just copy over
texmf-local. Either of these should end up with something
self-consistent. I admit I'm not clear on what you did.

BTW, I'm also confused by your mention of various Devuan packages and
the use of /usr/local/texlive/2021.  The /usr/local/texlive/YYYY dirs
are where the original/upstream TL is installed by default; the distros
don't use it (as far as I know; it would be a terrible mistake on their
part if they did).

Analogously, the original TL does not use anything from system
directories, so installing distro packages, or not, should make no
difference.  (The goal of keeping them separate is to make it possible
for people to run a distro's TeX and the original TL at the same time,
merely by changing PATH.)

Anyway, glad you've got things going now. Yay for --syncwithtrees :). -k