Bottom margin vs. descenders question

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jul 5 02:54:01 CEST 2020

On 2020-07-04 at 23:36:07 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

 > On 25/06/2020 14:00, Peter Flynn wrote:
 > [...]
 > > I am not aware of any official typesetting rules for this unless you
 > >  mean Hart's Rules (OUP) or Turabian (US) or similar. It's been many
 > >  decades since I looked, but if you can get a copy you could check.
 > > Or call someone at OUP (I am asking).
 >
 > I had one response from a former OUP editor, to say that he would expect
 > descenders on the bottom line to be completely above the bottom margin
 > bounds of a page.

This is silly.  It also means that character protrusion (HZ algorithm)
is deprecated.

And maybe the left and right margins shall have the same size, the
preferred fonts are Times New Roman, Arial, and Courier, etc.

Ignore these idiots.  If in doubt, simply use your brain.

Typography is about optical appearence.  This means that descenders
should stick into the margin.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25