[External] Re: Opinions/Guidance on LaTeX collaboration (methods & tools)

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Jul 2 18:49:24 CEST 2020

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:19:47 -0700, Paulo Ney de Souza stated:
>When all you have is a hammer everything start looking like a  nail.
>
>PN
>
>On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, 7:14 AM Philip Taylor
><P.Taylor at hellenic-institute.uk> wrote:
>
>> Fine, understood Thomas.  I did not think that it was likely to be
>> directly relevant, but nonetheless thought it worth mentioning that
>> Excel and TeX can work synergistically together.
>>
>> *Philip Taylor*
>> --------
>> Beuthe, Thomas wrote:
>>
>> UNRESTRICTED / ILLIMITÉE
>>
>> An interesting suggestion, but in my case, the people writing the
>> documents are all well versed in LaTeX. It’s only at the review
>> stage where things start to get problematic. Although commenting on
>> pdf files works, some prefer to be able to directly edit the
>> original to add their corrections suggestions.
>>
>> What you are describing here seems to be a good solution for the
>> input stage of the document, but I’m looking to solve problems more
>> at the output stage.
>>

>> Good suggestion though! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
>>
>> It’s great to see some of the innovative and creative approaches
>> that have been taken with LaTeX!
>>

>> >Not a direct answer, Thomas, but a question/suggestion — might your
>> non-TeXxie collaborators feel more comfortable working in Excel ?
>> If so, then >you might consider accepting Excel as input which can
>> then be directly processed by TeX, as I did (for example) when
>> producing the *Descriptive **>**Catalogue of Greek MSS in the
>> Lambeth Palace Library*.  The entire process is described here
>> <http://hellenic-institute.uk/research/LPL/Greek-MSS/Catalogue/Eutypon/e31-a02.pdf>
>> .
>>
>> This email is confidential between the sender and the intended
>> recipient specified in the message, and may contain proprietary or
>> otherwise protected information of the intended parties. If you
>> received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
>> and confirm you have deleted this message. Any unauthorized review,
>> disclosure, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or
>> reliance on this information may be unlawful and is strictly
>> prohibited.

Just adding my own 2¢ to this thread, but MS Word's 'track changes'
function is one of the most powerful group editing functions available.
I work in a municipality, and documents are being shuffled among
numerous departments all the time. The ability to track changes and
using or deleting any specific modification is of enormous value to
us. I have yet to discover an easier, more functional method yet for
groups of people to work independently on a project and combine the
results into a finished product.

--
Jerry