hyperref and \verb

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Wed Jan 29 19:07:39 CET 2020

Interesting. I was using the book class. Without hyperref, it worked
without a glitch, not even a warning was issued. It definitely doesn't
work with hyperref. I'll just need to rewrite, I guess. Luckily, there
are only a couple of affected footnotes.

Fernando

On 1/29/2020 12:44 PM, Peter Wilson wrote:
> Normally you cannot use \verb in a footnote. However the memoir class
> (if you are using it) provides a \verbfootnote command which does
> allow \verb to be used in the footnote's text.
>
> Peter W.
>

> On 29/01/20 14:57, Fernando Gouvea wrote:
>>
>> I am working on a book, and the publisher has just (as I was
>> finishing) asked me to use \hyperref to make links active on the
>> electronic version. Adding \usepackage{hyperref} and making no other
>> changes, I get a new error message:
>>
>>> ! LaTeX Error: \verb illegal in command argument.
>>>
>>> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>>> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>> This happens because I used something like \verb|Qp| in a footnote.
>> Despite the error message, the resulting pdf looks ok. Of course, I
>> haven't actually tried using any hyperref functionality yet. Can
>> anyone explain what is going on?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fernando
>>
>> --
>> Fernando Q. Gouveahttp://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
>> Carter Professor of Mathematics
>> Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
>> Colby College
>> 5836 Mayflower Hill
>> Waterville, ME 04901
>>
>> Ah, Mozart! He was happily married -- but his wife wasn't.
>>    -- Victor Borge

Fernando Q. Gouvea         http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Colby College
5836 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?
   -- Ursula K. LeGuin