hyperref and \verb

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Wed Jan 29 15:57:15 CET 2020

I am working on a book, and the publisher has just (as I was finishing)
asked me to use \hyperref to make links active on the electronic
version. Adding \usepackage{hyperref} and making no other changes, I get
a new error message:

> ! LaTeX Error: \verb illegal in command argument.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
This happens because I used something like \verb|Qp| in a footnote.
Despite the error message, the resulting pdf looks ok. Of course, I
haven't actually tried using any hyperref functionality yet. Can anyone
explain what is going on?

Thanks,

Fernando

Fernando Q. Gouvea         http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Colby College
5836 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901

Ah, Mozart! He was happily married -- but his wife wasn't.
   -- Victor Borge