fot?

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa.public at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 22:21:00 CET 2020

I imagine that many systems at the time had comparable restrictions on
filenames (thus the original idea document for TEX [sic] being in a
file called TEXDR.AFT rather than say TEX.DRAFT).
There's a funny remark related to extensions at the start of one of
Knuth's TeX internals videos in 1982, suggesting that extensions were
already becoming an issue as three-letter names were being "taken".
The background (from the start of the video) is that he had just
announced the extension .log for the transcript (log) file written out
by TeX, and someone objected. You can watch the response yourself
(1:00 to 1:35 in Session 11
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGcMILNhRI&list=PLABJEFgj0PWWQCiXDJ6UmR8BWQ6YcyVHv&t=60>);
sorry for wasting 35 seconds of your
time if you don't find it as funny as I do. :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGcMILNhRI&list=PLABJEFgj0PWWQCiXDJ6UmR8BWQ6YcyVHv&t=60