Botched attempt to update TL'20

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 01:03:52 CET 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 1:37 PM Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
wrote:

> On 2020-12-09 at 18:10:29 -0800, Paulo Ney de Souza wrote:
>
> Paulo, are you the owner of /usr/local/texlive?  Then you don't need
> sudo.  If the installation of MT Pro2 changed ownership of some files
> there is nothing tlmgr can do about.  It's definitely not desirable
> that everytime you invoke tlmgr it first checks the whole texlive tree
> for files with wrong permissions.
>
> If you are the owner of /usr/local/texlive (which is preferable) and
> then run tlmgr as root, it's clear that some files will be owned by
> root.  The correct solution is get ownership again:
>
>   sudo chown -R paulo:users /usr/local/texlive
>
> But this problem is not TeX Live related at all.  It happens with
> other software packages too.  I understand your frustration but tlmgr
> is definitely not the culprit.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Reinhard,

I am the owner of the tree and I know (now) the MTPro installation is the
one
fully to be blamed here and not tlmgr.

The problem is that lots of CTAN material is out there recommending/doing
a sudo on their own initiative... and that leaves a LOT of people with
mixed
ownership trees. Yesterday we asked here in Berkeley who has a mixed
ownership tree and 5 out 5 had - and surprisingly because of widely
different
reasons.

But even knowing that tlmgr is not the culprit, it would not hurt to check
before
starting -- it takes less than a second to a check on the whole tree.

Paulo Ney