fot?

Gregory Heytings ghe at sdf.org
Thu Dec 10 16:11:27 CET 2020

Wolfgang Helbig:

> Sorry Philip, I'd should have been more precise. I mean in Knuth's base
> distribution in the tex and mf subdirectories, like trip.fot or
> trap.fot.

I think "fot" means something like "photography".  There are only two such
files: trip.fot for TeX's "torture test" named trip.tex, and trap.fot for
Metafont's "torture test" named trap.tex.  They are used by tripman.tex
and trapman.tex:

\section Appendix H: The \.{TRIP.FOT} file.
This shows what appeared on the terminal while Appendix E was being produced.
\runninghead{APPENDIX H: \.{TRIP.FOT} (CONTINUED)}
\vskip8pt
\verbatim{trip.fot}

\section Appendix G: The \.{TRAP.FOT} file.
This shows what appeared on the terminal while Appendix D was being produced.
\runninghead{APPENDIX G: \.{TRAP.FOT} (CONTINUED)}
\vskip8pt
\verbatim{trap.fot}