Semantic TeX

Deyan Ginev deyan.ginev at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 20:02:14 CEST 2020

Hi Aaron, all,

Silently lurking LaTeXML developer here. (with additional affiliation
to the mostly stagnant sTeX project that was mentioned by Yuri).

With a medium amount of work (maybe in the 1 week to 1 month range)
you could create a new binding in LaTeXML that maps a personal macro
dialect (e.g. living in a custom .sty file of choice) to a custom XML
schema of choice. LaTeXML has a mechanism that allows for extensions
to its main XML schema, as long as the extension lives in its own
dedicated XML namespace. sTeX did that with the "omdoc:" namespace and
the OMDoc schema for example. At the moment the main schema support is
via RelaxNG however, there is no support for XSD.

With that said, I always encourage such projects to think about living
in the web-first paradigm from the onset. Namely, to consider if they
can achieve most of what they seek in the HTML5+RDFa paradigm, which
allows for a Semantic Web approach to combining
presentation+semantics. We also have some latexml tooling to support
that direction of work. Casting one's work in that light often makes
it easier to also arrive at an ePub target (which latexml has native
support for), and generally makes the representation target a little
more future-proof.

Mandatory disclaimer: there are a number of reasonable converters out
there to choose from, notably tex4ht, I'm just discussing one that I
am personally involved with. Writing your own LaTeX parser is
generally a bad idea, unless you're solving some simple one-time need
or working with a minimal LaTeX subset.

Greetings,
Deyan