Semantic TeX

Peter Wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 30 19:39:13 CEST 2020

I'm unclear as to in what sense "semantic" is being used here. In my
Chambers Dictionary semantic is defined as "relating to meaning, esp. of
words". I would have thought that LaTeX macros like \title, \chapter,
\caption, and so on are semantic. Or is the intent to specify words as
nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.? If every word has to have a defined
semantic then you are faced with approaching an infinity of
specifications. What is the semantic of the word "taghairm"?

Peter W.