to tilde or not to tilde

barbara beeton bnb at tug.org
Mon Oct 7 17:00:07 CEST 2019

Dear Paulo Ney,

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019, Paulo Ney de Souza wrote:

> Dear Thomas Schneider,
> NO centered mathematical formula should contain any punctuation at the end
> of the line -- even if it is to terminate a sentence.
>
> Punctuation have a role in typography -- to introduce a pause at reading --
> and with a centered formula that pause already EXIST. The correct is:
>
> \begin{equation}
> A = \pi r ^2
> \end{equation}
>
> even if it is ending a sentence or a paragraph.
>
> Paulo Ney

May I refer you to the AMS Style GGuide, available online from
a link on the oage www.ams.org.authors .  See section 13.4,
punctuation.

A space is usually a matter of personal style, but it definitely
helps after a fraction, although AMS practice is more likely to
be a thin space -- \, -- than a full space.
 						-- bb