to tilde or not to tilde

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Mon Oct 7 18:41:57 CEST 2019

Peter Wilson wrote:
"The Printing of Mathematics" by Chaundy, Barrett, and Batey, Oxford University Press, 1954,  says that mathematics should be punctuated as normal text. For instance, if a formula is at the end of a sentence then it should be followed by a full stop (period).

"Mathematics into Type" by Ellen Swanson, American Mathematical Society, 1999, shows many examples of punctuating math with commas and periods.

Peter W.

I must dig out my copy of Knuth's Mathemtical Typesetting and see what is recommended there, but for myself, while I would happily punctuate inline maths, I would never do the same for display maths unless there were two or more separate fomulæ presented within a horizontal sequence, e.g.

    $$(a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 ; (a+b)^3 =  a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3; ...  $$

Even then I would probably not set a final period.

Philip Taylor