TeX "glue" (stretch and shrink)

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Fri Oct 4 15:20:53 CEST 2019

On 04/10/2019 03:14, Gordon Haverland wrote:
> I know of widows and orphans, I had never heard of rivers.  Is
> "rivers" the best term to search for on this?

Rivers are lines of white space between words which extend up the page
because by bad luck or poor typesetting, the space between one pair of
words on one line are very close to the space between another pair of
words on the line above, and so on up the page. There's a good example
at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_(typography)

> So on the farm, in 60 foot tall letters, I have LOVE and AWE [...] I
> think the typeface is Computer Modern, but I don't remember exactly.

If you copied it from the [La]TeX default, then it is indeed CM.

> Until I can get a picture showing the words on the landscape,

If it's been there long enough it's probably on Google Maps. NASA
probably has you in their sights as a landmark :-)

Without wishing to trespass on your privacy (or your farm) have you
looked to see if they show up?

Peter