[texhax] help

Lars Madsen daleif at math.au.dk
Thu Nov 22 09:33:11 CET 2018

> _______________________________________

I don't think many users know that PDF does not support PNG (I didn't)

I'm looking for information as to what we should recommend to our
users, and what we should use in our projects.

> Péter Szabó told me that sam2p removes redundancy from bitmap images
> without degrading quality. This is possible because there is not only
> one way to create a valid PNG file.
>
> As far as speed is concerned, I think that it's more efficient to
> convert PNG to PDF in advance because the PDF file can be used as-is,
> without any further processing.

I agree completely, there is a very noticable compilation stop at
every included PNG.

> Aside from the fact that sam2p supports zillions of bitmap formats, it
> always creates very small files.
>
> PostScript didn't support compression prior to PS Level 2.  But even
> if your ancient PostScript interpreter doesn't support Level 2, sam2p
> is able to support compression though.  It "simply" adds a
> de-compressor written in PostScript to the file.  Péter obviously had
> file size in mind from the beginning.
>
>  > I did a test on a preprint, where if we use PNG versions of some
>  > tif files it ends up at 50Mb, converting the tifs to pdf using
>  > sam2p reduced this to 30.
>
> I'm not surprised.
>
> Lars, I must admit that I wasn't aware of sam2p and textrace until I
> spent a whole evening with Péter Szabó at the ENST cafeteria during
> EuroTeX 2003 in Brest while you preferred to waste your time at the
> conference dinner. ;)

oy, that was the first conference I ever went to, so I only folloew
the flow.