[texhax] help

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Tue Nov 20 16:39:25 CET 2018

On 20/11/2018 00:27, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2018-11-19 at 15:20:34 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>  > People sometimes send me a JPEG inside a PDF, for what reason I wot
>  > not.  I think it's because these people don't know that you can
>  > open a JPEG in some software; they don't have GIMP, for example, so
>  > they believe that a PDF is the *only* shareable format, the same
>  > way as they believe Word is the only format for text.
>
> Dear Peter,
> PDF is the *only* shareable format which allows you to control exactly
> how things are displayed.

Correct. But that is not the reason these people use it. They are not
trying to control how things are displayed, they are just sending me
photographs from their camera.

> I disagree with your statement "these people don't know...".  I'm
> using PDF for everything I make available to others and you can be
> sure that I know exactly what I'm doing.

You were not included in "these people". You know what they are doing;
these people don't.

> I don't think that those who send you a JPEG inside a PDF are idiots.

Only a few of them are idiots. The rest are just misinformed.

> There are good reasons.

There are many good reasons for embedding a JPEG image into a PDF.
Sending me three photographs of their cat is not one of them :-)

///Peter