[texhax] Puzzle: bibtex working when it *shouldn't*!!! ???

Tomas Rokicki rokicki at gmail.com
Tue May 8 23:32:55 CEST 2018

Don't forget, TeX was written in an era when each system had its
own file system with its own idiosyncrasies when it came to
extensions, upper/lowercase in file names, directory separators,
etc.  (Even today some filesystems confuse Makefile and makefile,
for instance [OSX].)  Windows has some very strange naming
conventions and issues today as well.

Short names where the extensions could be inferred were
felt to be more portable.

The file name conventions are located in what is typically the
system-dependent part of the code; MikTeX is likely making
different decisions there than TeXLive.  They should be
brought into conformance if possible, but the fact that they are
different should not be a shock.

--  http://cube20.org/  --  http://golly.sf.net/  --