[texhax] Centring \ddot above \widehat.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Mar 9 23:19:38 CET 2018

Putting a "double dot" above a wide hat seems to centre the dots over
the underlying symbol, and thus puts them somewhat to the left of the
peak of the wide hat --- which looks wrong to me.

A Google search turned up only information about a single dot and hat;
the posting

> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/317603/how-to-put-a-dot-accent-above-a-hat-accent-in-math-mode

indicated that using amsmath would get things right --- and indeed it
does in this instance.  However using amsmath seems to have no impact
upon the "double wide" case.  Is there any remedy?

I have attached the LaTeX source and the pdf output of a minimal
reproducible example.

Thanks for any advice.

cheers,

Rolf Turner