[texhax] help

James Diamond jim.diamond at acadiau.ca
Sat Dec 15 15:15:18 CET 2018

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 01:46 (+0100), Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Many people, especially in the Windows world, believe that JPEG files
> are always smaller than PNG files.  This is only true if you don't
> care about quality.  If you want to achieve same quality (i.e., avoid
> the JPEG artifacts), a JPEG file is most likely much larger than a PNG
> file.

Your experience with MS users is much better than mine.  I've met a
lot of windows users who can't understand what is wrong with e-mailing
me a screen shot as a .bmp file.

> The search order is obviously wrong but can't be changed without
> breaking existing documents.  It's wrong to look for .png files before
> looking for .pdf files.

> The solution is not to rely on this order at all.

>   \includegraphics{myfile.pdf}

> instead of

>   \includegraphics{myfile}

The problem with that is if you have to use dvi files for some reason
(and have .eps versions of your files) then you have to either edit
your .tex file or \ifpdf ... \else \if around your \includegraphics,
both of which are a nuisance.

Cheers.

                                Jim