[texhax] spaces missing...

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Sun Sep 24 04:11:52 CEST 2017

On Sat, September 23, 2017 10:06 am, Walt Burkhard wrote:

> I have a question regarding my use of an (older) Adobe font  padb8a
>  compared with the standard cmss10.
> I have attached the very short tex program  test.tex as well as its output
>  test.pdf.
> Why do the spaces not show in the first line of the output?

Not really knowing the font, or how the tex font metrics (.tfm)
were created for it, I'll just guess that the inter-word spacing
parameters weren't set well. (TeX does not use space characters
between words.)

In your test document insert

2: \the\fontdimen2\ff \par
3: \the\fontdimen3\ff \par
7: \the\fontdimen7\ff \par

If some of these are zero or tiny, that would explain the spacing.
You can set them after loading the font, or you should be able to
patch the tfm file, or provide the parameters when the tfm gets made
from the adobe file (by fontins?).

\font\ff padb8a at 12pt
\fontdimen2\ff=3pt
\fontdimen3\ff=1.5pt