[texhax] install-tl via script (was Download errors from ftp://tug.org)

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 15:48:54 CET 2017

On 14/12/2017 14:39, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

>> On 14 Dec 2017, at 15:02, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> David's install script is suspiciously close to one I wrote ;)
>
> as the saying goes, 'books are written from other books, and software from other software' ;-)
>
>> ... start from minimal and add them on by hand with a long "tlmgr install ..." list. It depends though on the balance of effort versus install size:
>
> yes, that's a reasonable approach, but, as you mentioned, it requires to know what packages are required.
>
> I'll start with scheme-basic + collection-fontsrecommended and try to build my manuals.
>
> unfortunately my personal experience with tex is close to none. what should I expect to happen if some of the manuals refer to tex packages that are not available?
>
> will the build fail, or the manuals will look funny?
>
> assuming the build will fail with some error message, how can I deduce from it what collection I need to add?

For LaTeX packages, the build will stop with a message saying 'X not
found'. You then have to work out which TeX Live package its in: often
the name is the same, but not always. You can use

     tlmgr search --file [name]

so for example for the LaTeX package "siunitx" you'd do

     tlmgr search --file siunitx.sty

or for the LaTeX class beamer you'd do

       tlmgr search --file beamer.cls

Font files are a bit more 'fun': you might get an error about a missing
font with no obvious clue from the name. Again you can look it up using

       tlmgr search --file [name].tfm

 From experience, the number of packages you'll actually have to track
down is small-ish. If you can point to an example source, I might be
able to do the 'detective work' and make a suggestion for which packages
to grab.

Joseph