[texhax] How to convert Digital Research TEX Text Formater files to plainTeX

Peter Cumminsky cummip at gmail.com
Sat May 16 02:35:51 CEST 2015

On 5/15/2015 7:43 PM, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2015-05-15 at 15:03:20 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>   > 2015-05-15 14:44 GMT+02:00 Peter Cumminsky <cummip at gmail.com>:
>   >> Unfortunately, it's not a variant of roff, it's TeX for CP/M by
>   >> Digital Research. As I said I have the manual for DR's TEX,
>   >> here's a quote from the
>   >> title page:
>   >>     "The "TEX User's Guide" was prepared using the
>   >> TEX Text Formatter."
>   >>  and trademark paragraph:
>   >>     "The names CP/M, SID, MAC, TEX, and Digital
>   >> Research are trademarks of Digital Research."
>   >> It's just one of the infinite varieties of commercialized TeX put
>   >> out in the late 70's (1978 in this case) by various and sundry
>   >> vendors.
>   >
>   > http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/software/DRI/tex%20formatter/TEX%20Text%20Formatter%20CPM.pdf
>   >
>   > I seriously doubt that this program shares anything with DEK's TeX
>   > aside from the three letters of the name.
>
> Absolutely correct, Martin.  Here is the definite answer:
>
>   Donald E. Knuth, "Digital Typography", footnote on page 27.
>
>   | \TeX\ has no connection with a similar-named system recently
>   | announced by Honeywell Information Systems, or with another one
>   | developed by Digital Research.  In my language the T, E, and X are
>   | Greek letters and \TeX\ is pronounced "tech", following the Greek
>   | words for art and technology.
>
> Thus, Peter, there is no "TeX for CP/M".  This one is called "TEX".
>
> I never expected that a slightly different spelling leads to so much
> confusion.
>
> Regards,
>    Reinhard

Oh well, I'm just going to give up on this project for now I guess. I
did try TR2LEX (tr2latex on my GnuWin installation) and it gave up after
the first half-dozen errors on the dot-commands. Maybe I'll try
substitution/macros in roff/troff/goff when I come back to this. Thanks
for the info guys, ancient computer stuff is never simple.