[texhax] tlmgr on debian

shawn wilson ag4ve.us at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 12:09:56 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 5:12 AM, Joseph Wright
<joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
> On 23/04/2015 10:10, shawn wilson wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:50 AM, Joseph Wright
>> <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> The instructions say

>>> (Unix) or install-tl.zip (larger; Windows or Unix), unpack it, and run
>>> the included install-tl script, as described below. (To reiterate: you
>>> must use install-tl from the pretest; trying to work with a TL
>>> installation from previous years will fail completely.)
>>>
>>> then talk about rsync if you want a local copy of the entire thing. I
>>> always just download the installer script then let it grab the bits as
>>> it goes along: that is after all how the release version is used.
>>
>> Point being, there's no metadata in the tarball or rsync - which is
>> kinda nice when using software that's not from a release cut. Hell, it
>> can be nice with a cut because of diff and blame/annotate etc to
>> answer the question "why is this doing this, what were they
>> thinking"... I don't do enough tex to think I need a *really* current
>> repo and don't know enough to contribute anything useful, but to say
>> the tarball is the same as the repo is kinda missing something.
>
> Not really the point of pretesting. The TL team have done their work,
> those of us pretesting report back any issues and leave it to them to
> sort (if we can!).
>
> If you don't want the pretest version, just get the current release from
> CTAN.

Pretest or not - not really my point - I want the metadata. If there's
another way to get that, cool. If bandwidth is a premium, I'll be sure
to not update more than once a week.

I guess I'm failing to convey why I prefer to use the repo and my
initial question hasn't been answered, so, thanks for the replies.