[texhax] controlling table locations

Thomas Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Thu May 15 06:10:15 CEST 2014

Reinhard:

> I'm wondering whether it's whorthwhile to help other people at all if
> all they have to say is "I have other things to do".
>
> I'm pissed off, sorry.
>
> Tom, if  you are not interested in answers, why on earth do you bother
> us with your stupid questions?

I'm sorry.  I am working on a paper and needed a method.  I recognize
that the code you gave is TeX but I don't understand enough of what is
going on at that level to decode how what you wrote works.  So I have
a choice - to move on or to learn more TeX.  Knuth's book is daunting
... and it has to compete with literally 1600 papers that I ought to
read since they are relevant to what I'm working on ...

Solutions that I understand are best.

   \makeatletter
     \def\fps at table{h}
   \makeatother

\makeatletter - switches to something about cat codes for reasons
I don't know.

\makeatother - switches back.

\def - define something or maybe redefine it ...

\fps - ???
@table{h} - some kind of internal code for table but it's not clear
what it does ... (google for \def\fps didn't help) and it didn't
work for me to switch the h to a p ...

Please continue to answer questions!

Regards,

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  http://schneider.ncifcrf.gov (current link)