[texhax] Drawing colored pie chart in KOMA-Class scrreprt (preferably without manually installing pgf-pie

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Sun Mar 23 16:44:55 CET 2014

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 13:52 (+0000), Philip Taylor wrote:

> A very nice example (I haven't yet seen a rationalisation
> of why pie-charts are deprecated, and would be interested
> to know the basis for this)

Just in case no-one with expertise in the area answers your
question...

According to what I have read (sorry, I have no references), of the
various common ways of presenting data, pie charts are the worst in
terms of people's ability to compare relative amounts.

For example, if you had a collection of vertical bars arranged
horizontally, where the height of the bar represents the quantity of
interest, it is (relatively) easy for you to look across the
collection and see which is the tallest, which is the shortest, and
whether (for example) bar #3 is taller than bar #7.

But it is (allegedly) much harder to compare the size of pie pieces,
unless there are few pieces and/or the size differences are large.

Cheers.

                                Jim