[texhax] Nested lists and newenvironment

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 19:11:26 CET 2014

Hi Jim --

> If I use the \begin{exercise}..\end{exercise} construct,
> with nothing after the \item[] of the trivlist, then the
> numbers of the enumerate environment are not placed next
> to the text "This is a nother test." and "And another."
> but instead appear in the margin before the next trivlist.
> If I just use \item instead of the environment then it is
> good; the numbers appear where I think they should.

Instead of using trivlist I would try it with my own
(trivial) custom list with something like this:

\newenvironment{menulist}{
\begin{list}{}{
\setlength{\topsep}{0ex}
\setlength{\labelwidth}{0.03\linewidth}
\setlength{\leftmargin}{0.06\linewidth}
\setlength{\itemindent}{0em}
\setlength{\itemsep}{-\parskip}
\setlength{\parsep}{\parskip}}
}{\end{list}}

(These lengths probably won't suit you.)

                              -- Bill

Email: hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
       gellmu at gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/william.f.hammond