[texhax] What program can I use to edit TeX files?

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Thu Mar 21 16:36:53 CET 2013

In principle you could use Word and saving as ascii, but the file may not be in ascii in the first place.

You might want to have a look at

TeXMaker, http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/
TeXStudio, http://texstudio.sourceforge.net/

(they are very similar)

There are lots of others.

They are free and easy to install. You don't need latex to use them as editors. Also they are quite good at detecting input encodings in case the files are actually not ascii.

/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University