[texhax] typset mistranslates the anglbrackets

David Crosswell davidcrosswell at internode.on.net
Mon Mar 18 12:40:00 CET 2013

On 18/03/13 20:16, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> David Crosswell wrote:
>
>> On 17/03/13 07:16, Maurice Karnaugh wrote:
>>
>> Hello Maurice,
>>
>>> When I have < or > in ordinary text in a Tex file, typeset interprets them as the Spanish symbols: upside down ! or upside down ?, respectively.
>>>
>>> How can I fix this?  I would like to use the angle brackets.
>> Use \textless and \textgreater and you will get real angle brackets.
> Unknown in Plain TeX; is it possible that these names
> are provided only by a format or package ?

Hello Philip,

As quoted from:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Special_Characters#Less_than_.3C_and_greater_than_.3E

"The two symbols '<' and '>' are actually ASCII characters, but you may
have noticed that they will print '¡' and '¿' respectively. This is a
font encoding issue. If you want them to print their real symbol, you
will have to use another font encoding such as T1, loaded with the
inputenc package. See Fonts <https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Fonts>
for more details on font encoding.

Alternatively, they can be printed with dedicated commands:

\textless
\textgreater"

I got exactly the same result as the OP, but this gave the angle
brackets to me immediately.

Using texlive 2012.20120611- on Debian SID.
Kind regards,

David Crosswell.

>> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (Web2C 2011)
>>  restricted \write18 enabled.
>> entering extended mode
>> (./untitled-1.tex
>> ! Undefined control sequence.