[texhax] Obsolete \centerline command used in amsbook class

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Fri Sep 14 16:46:17 CEST 2012

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012, Ari Meir Brodsky wrote:

    The l2tabu document
    (http://mirror.ctan.org/info/l2tabu/english/l2tabuen.pdf, section 2.1.3)
    declares the \centerline command to be an obsolete TeX command that should
    not be used in LaTeX.  However, the \chapter command of amsbook.cls uses
    \centerline.  The following minimal example generates an error (where we
    use the "nag" package to detect obsolete commands from l2tabu):

    --------------------
    \RequirePackage[l2tabu, abort]{nag}
    \documentclass{amsbook}
    \begin{document}

    \chapter{Testing Nag with amsbook}
    \end{document}
    --------------------------

    Is this a bug in amsbook?  Should it be corrected?

the next day, ari sent the same message to
tech-support at ams.org, the listed address to
which bugs should be reported.  we sent him
this response:

  thank you for your report.  i'm not sure that we consider the use of
  centerline to be a bug, but it is certainly infelicitous.

  i have put it on the list of things to be examined when next the ams
  document class files are opened up for overhaul.  unless some other
  more urgent project comes up in the meantime, that should begin either
  late this year or early next.
						-- bb