[texhax] installing fonts in latex

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Nov 16 19:32:37 CET 2012

Dear Maria --

> I am contacting you regarding an enquiry we have on installing fonts in
> latex.
>
> We are working in UNIX environment and we would like to install a custom
> font in latex. Is it possible to install a custom font? If so, could you
> please guide us through? In order to install a custom font what should
> be the file extension?

I know nothing about Unix, but if there is a version of XeTeX which
runs under XeTeX, then XeLaTeX may be your preferred solution.  XeTeX
understands system fonts, so provided that your custom font is
already in system format (Truetype, Opentype, whatever), then all
that will be needed is to install the font wherever your system
fonts live, using its canonical extension.

XeTeX list cc'd as you may wish to follow up there.

Philip Taylor