[texhax] Kerning?

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 2 14:56:05 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 02:40:18PM +0100, Christian Pleul wrote:

> It would be great if somebody with more insight then me could look at the following minimal example. It seems to me, that the small dash between the words is to far away from the "T". Could this be enhanced?
>
> --------- minimal example --------
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \begin{document}
> 	\emph{Expert-Teams}
> \end{document}

That's a property of the font, whether it include a kerning pair
for "-T". The pair "Te" is much more common.

TeX Gyre Pagella is an example that contains a kerning correction
for "-T":

\documentclass{minimal}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{tgpagella}
\begin{document}
  \emph{Expert-Teams}
\end{document}

Unhappily the Latin Modern fonts don't correct the kerning.
Then manual fixing of the kerning remains
(e.g., by applying the difference of "Te" vs. "\hbox{T}\hbox{e}"
to the left side of the "T").

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek