[texhax] Insert chapter and section heading into document header

David Gatwood dgatwood at mac.com
Mon Dec 17 17:03:08 CET 2012

I'm pretty sure it is doable, but it might not be straightforward.  If nothing else, you could save a reference to each chapter as you create the chapter mark, then in your heading, compare the current page number to each chapter start page in the list and then decide which chapter number(s) to show.

That said, since your change won't ever affect the number of lines, you might also be able to do something clever like overwriting the existing line when you hit a chapter mark, or moving the chapter mark drawing code into AddToShipoutPicture so that it gets processed at the end of the page (after you have changed the chapter number).

Incidentally, if you're starting chapters in the middle of a page, I'd be tempted to show both chapter numbers on the first page of the chapter unless the heading falls at the start of a page.  The code for doing so is left as an exercise for the reader, but probably involves comparing the current drawing position to the top of the page....

David

Sent from my iPhone