[texhax] which TeX?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Sep 22 13:11:34 CEST 2011

On Sep 22, 2011, at 5:51 AM, Arno Trautmann wrote:

> Then is there a reason that w32tex is separate from TeX Live? As far as I see, w32tex is not really useful as a standalone-distribution, and TeX Live cannot run on Windows without it – why not merge the two projects to reduce confusion? Is this given historically or is there a deeper reason?

For me, using w32tex directly allows one to install a reasonable-sized TeX system, and up-date it on one's own terms, no fancy GUI necessary --- I wouldn't have TeX on my pen slate computer (w/ a 4GB SSD) if it weren't for w32tex. It's quite workable and I've used it to do things like the typesetting back-end for http://www.customstoriesinc.com/ at home or when traveling.

It's been ``marketed'' more for the Japanese market in the past, though the new domain has made it easier for others to get at it.

I just wish that we could get Akira Kakuto interested in ANT --- had that compiled at one time and it was quite interesting.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer