[texhax] quotation marks with babel in LuaLaTeX

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Sep 19 12:50:01 CEST 2011

Arno Trautmann wrote:

> this might be a rather stupid question,

Rather, it is an intriguing question, which I was trying
to research.  However, my research led me to what is perhaps
even more intriguing (at least, to LaTeX-illiterati such
as myself) : why does the following --

	\documentclass {scrartcl}
	\usepackage {fontspec}
	\setmainfont {Linux Libertine O}

	\begin{document}
	„“  "` "'
	\end{document}

produce this diagnostic from XeLaTeX --

	! Package babel Error: You haven't loaded the option ngerman yet.

	See the babel package documentation for explanation.
	Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

	l.3 \select at language{ngerman}

since I have neither requested Babel nor have I given any
indication that any portion of the text might be in German.

Philip Taylor