[texhax] \hyperref takes ages to build and display

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 10 22:51:20 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 07:05:43PM +0100, Dr A K Hannaby wrote:

> I am using Miktex 2.9 and choosing dvi output.
>
> The source file is 12,500 lines long and will increase to 20,000 lines; i.e.
> with all the chapters included as distinct from being called.
>
> Without \hyperref included, the build & display takes about 5 seconds,
> whereas with it included it takes about 25 seconds.
>
> Is the only answer to remove the chapters that are complete until the end?

* \include, \includeonly are made for this purpose.

* Some TeX engines know option -draftmode that doesn't generate
  a output file and can be useful if a .tex files needs several
  compilations.

* Afaik \pdfstringdef takes some time that is used to generate
  bookmark strings. For the draft you can disable the bookmarks
  \usepackage[bookmarks=false]{hyperref}

* ...

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek