[texhax] using glossaries...

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Tue May 31 23:13:24 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:28 PM,
> On May 31, 2011, at 12:56 PM, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> Am I missing something? It seems the glossaries package is far more
>> complex to install and use that other similar packages.
>>
>> I'm presently looking at circular dependencies where my preamble
>> /usepackage{glossaries} is throwing a "no glossaries.sty file" error
>> and my makeglosseries perl script is complaining "there is no .aux
>> file" for my document.
>>
>> There is clearly something missing; at this point I'm ready to use a
>> list macro. Is there a more traditional package solution available?
>>

> How and where did you install the glossaries package? What TeX distribution are you using? If it's TL2010 (or, I believe, a recent MikTeX too --- I'm not a Windows user) the glossaries package should already be in the distribution. If you don't have the glossaries package installed and found it certainly isn't surprising that the necessary files needed by the perl script aren't being created.

Thanks for the info, this explanation is encouraging, I must have a
version prior to the one in TL2010.

I have not used TexLive yet due to problems with the pkgsrc install,
which is the packaging system I normally use. Presently I'm not using
my regular system but for a short intense contract, I've installed the
current Ubuntu and latex packages in it to get up and operating as
quickly as possible.

Since my report requires a glossary, I searched and found the topic in
wiki books
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Glossary
and proceeded  to search for a glossary.sty file. But I could only
locate the glossaries.ins and glossaries.dtx; which I used to make the
perl script which doesn't work atm.
http://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/glossaries

I think I will just use a list macro unless I can find a simple
glossaries.sty and perhaps simple dependencies. It is more important
to get the report done than to format it correctly....

-George