[texhax] [pdftex] Change font names in PDF

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:51:38 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:18 AM, narke <narkewoody at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh ....  I just tried with 'mathptmx' package, but the resulted font
> name get even more strange!
>
> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> NimbusRomNo9L-Regu         N          Type 1            yes no  no      32  0
> NimbusRomNo9L-ReguItal               Type 1            yes no  no      33  0
>
> What's wrong with it?

This looks fine to me.  As others have mentioned, these are the free
URW "clones" of Adobe fonts, and are widely used in ghostscript, TeX,
and other free software such as inkscape and gimp.   I have been
using inkscape with pdf generated by TeX for years, but on linux
and OS X, not Windows.

Did you try loading the file in inkscape?  Does your inkscape have these
fonts?   My linux version 0.48 calls them "NimbusRomanNo9L" and offers
normal, italic, bold, and bold-italic styles.

Have you considered just installing linux?   Inkscape seems to have
problems with fonts on Windows 7:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/627430>

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia