[texhax] moreverb and write18 difficulty

Stephen Hicks sdh33 at cornell.edu
Sat Mar 5 22:16:52 CET 2011

First, I really do hope you're kidding about "very simple", because
TeX inside metapost inside TeX is certainly not simple.

I was unable to reproduce your "correct" result when moving the
\write18 outside the environment.  But I can tell you why it's not
working:

Try factoring out the \write18 into a separate macro:
\def\mpost{\immediate\write18{mpost -tex=latex vafa.mp}}
\def\cat{\immediate\write18{echo TEST.AUX;echo ========;cat
test.aux;echo ========}}
\newenvironment{vafa}{\verbatimwrite{vafa.mp}}{\endverbatimwrite\cat\mpost}

I've inserted an extra "cat test.aux" before the call to mpost.
Running this reveals that test.aux is in fact empty at the time mpost
is being called.  Adding another \cat after the environment gives the
same result.  My initial guess was that the pertinent line in the .aux
file should be written the output routine for the page, and since your
\immediate\write18 would happen before the OR, there was no way it
would see that line.  Unfortunately, removing the \immediate and/or
adding a few extra pages before the call to \cat (or \mpost) didn't
help matters at all.

Without digging through the LaTeX source, I don't know off hand when
the .aux file will be written.  But maybe you're better off with a
different approach that's less sensitive to output routine details.
Rather than linking in the .aux file in the metapost, maybe you can
allow LaTeX to expand a few macros in the source file.  I'm unfamiliar
with \verbatimwrite, but you can, by hand, construct an "environment"
that changes catcodes of special characters (including newline and/or
space) to 12, and then defines its own escape/grouping characters that
can be used to expand the \ref (or if you know \ref is the only thing
you want to expand before writing, you could instead define an active
character to do that...).  Or, you could make everything catcode 12
and then make \ active and have it look ahead to see if it's followed
by 'r', 'e', f', '{', and if so, expand the following reference...
For an example of how to write this sort of environment, see slides
8-12 or so of http://www.physics.cornell.edu/~shicks/slides/2009-bachotex.pdf

Now that I've said all this, I'll reiterate a point from those slides
- while it's certainly possible, and maybe cute, to make TeX do some
crazy things, it's not necessarily a good idea.  There's probably a
better, less hacky, way to accomplish the same goal - perhaps a
makefile or a shell script?  Or maybe an already-existing package like
mfpic could work?

Cheers,
steve